Saturday, February 9, 2008

Thing 7: Web 2.0 Communication Tools

We are big time users of email in my school district. It is the first thing I check when I go into work. It is something that I leave on all day and continuously check for new emails from staff throughout the day. Sometimes it's as simple as clarifying what time a class is expected in the library or computer lab and other times it may be some collaborative planning for a lesson, just minutes before the lesson begins. And of course, an email might be notification of s announcements of school issues or even district wide issues/notifications.
I have attended various webinars from Minitex on the use of Kids Infobits and most recently one on Play Attention (not minitex). They are valuable tools because I can attend them when the time works for me, and I can even do it in the comfort of my own home! I also like the feature that participants can send a message (hey, that's probably one time I really like IM!) if they have a question. I usually find that I can learn a lot from other's questions too.
Text messenging, I have begun to do with my own children. I have found out that if I want to keep up with staying in touch with them, I'd best send them a text message! It seems like that is thee way of teens in communication these days.
The tool of IM has not really appealed to me yet because I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy on that one. When my email and cell phone/text messaging works perfectly well, why use IM? It's just one more account that has to be set up. That's just my opinion of course!

No comments: